Monday, June 3, 2013

Champion Omelet


It was a LONG weekend around our house....sigh!  My husband was confined to the bed after a small surgical procedure.  My oldest daughter caught some kind of 12-hour stomach virus and vomited all day.  My youngest daughter was very clingy and hardly let me do anything without holding her or entertaining her.  Our dog threw up twice on the carpets.  I was bitten by a horse fly or sand fly four times within five minutes of stepping outside on Sunday evening.  Sheesh!  I'd like a do-over please!  Thank you!

Anyway, after all that craziness, I was determined to resume normalcy.  Monday came and instead of complaining, I kissed the awful weekend good-bye.   I gave my girls their usual Pumpkin Pancake (with added chocolate chips) for breakfast then let them run wild while I completed my Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, Level 2 workout DVD (thank goodness, I hadn't exercised in four days and was seriously having withdrawals!).  It was 9 o'clock before I started making this dish for myself (two hours later than when I typically eat) but I finally felt accomplished and relieved that my family was taken care of.  That's what I do -- I take care of them before I take care of (feed) myself. 

This was my champion omelet.  After a loser Saturday and Sunday, I felt more like a winner on Monday after eating this. 

As soon as I sat down to take a bite, my one year old crawls over and lifts up her arms for me to hold her and put her on my lap.  She ate 1/3 of it.  Oh yes, she knows a good breakfast meal.  Her nose and her eyes are keen.  She's lucky I shared it with her but look how big this thing was.  I suppose she did me a favor by helping me eat it.  :-)



Champion Omelet
(Serves One Adult or one busy mom, plus a food-stealing baby/toddler)

1 Tbsp of oil/fat (your choice: olive oil, coconut oil or butter)
2 eggs
1/2 cup to 1 cup of pre-cooked (leftover) spaghetti squash (Mine shrunk from 1 cup to 1/2 cup when I drained out the water from it)
1/2 cup or one small hand full of fresh spinach leaves, torn into small pieces
1 tsp of milk or water
sea salt - two dashes
other seasonings to taste
1 link of all natural chicken sausage - optional
1/4 cup of all natural cheese, shredded - optional

Heat a small skillet on low to medium heat.  Add in your choice of oil/fat - coconut oil, olive oil or butter.  I use a Tbsp of any of those on any given day depending on my mood.  Today I used olive oil. 

In a medium size bowl, mix your eggs, spaghetti squash and spinach leaves/pieces. 



Note that I used 1 cup of leftover pre-cooked spaghetti squash and drained it through a dish towel to rid myself of the excess water.  When I did that, the one cup shrunk to a 1/2 cup amount. 


Whisk for a minute or so.  Add in the teaspoon of milk or water (or use cream or any non-dairy drink_). 



Pour into the heated skillet.  Sprinkle in sea salt and other seasonings you like (onion powder and garlic powder are my faves).  Cook until your desired taste for an omelet.  I like just a little bit of brown to my eggs.



I chose to top mine with one link of chopped chicken sausage and cheese.  You can leave those things out however and it will still taste amazing. 

Like I said, my 13-month old baby girl came up to me the moment this dish was ready and began reaching her fingers out to enjoy a bite.  Yes, you know it's good when a baby wants to steal it.  And I call it my champion omelet because it tasted and made me feel like a winner!  :-)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment