Friday, June 28, 2013

Fruit and Veggie Drink

I can't really call this a smoothie.  I didn't put enough ice or amount of liquid in there to make it true to a smoothie form.  It definitely is not juice either.  I'm not sure what to call it except for one very tasty concoction that I sucked down in about two minutes flat.  No brain freeze either! 

I suppose I will just refer to it as a Fruit and Veggie Drink.  That's easier to say than Mango-Berry-Banana-Carrot-Spinach Drink.  That seemed just a bit too much to try to roll off the tongue.  This recipe is very sweet but has some nutritious, raw veggies in there.  It has no added sugar.  Did I mention it was delicious? Because it is! 

I don't know what possessed me to make it.  I just wanted to drink my snack instead of spooning out my usual go-to items like yogurt and almond butter. I literally had no plan.  No recipe.  I just looked around my kitchen for available ingredients.  I threw them into my blender and this is the end result.  

So I'm sharing it here before I forget - You'll thank me for this one!  And you're very welcome!



Fruit and Veggie Drink
(Serves 2 - or one for now, one in the fridge for later)

3/4 cup of crushed ice
1 ripe mango - peeled, seed removed and flesh scooped out
1 banana - peeled
1/3 cup of blueberries - rinsed
1 cup of raw, fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup of raw carrot slices
3/4 cup of dairy or non-dairy liquid (I used 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1/2 cup of organic, whole milk) - you could certainly use almond milk or coconut milk if dairy isn't your thing!


Place the ice at the bottom of your blender.  Then add the mango flesh, banana and berries.  I packed 1 cup of spinach leaves into a measuring cup and tossed them into the blender.  Then I added the carrot slices.  The cup of dairy liquid (or coconut or almond milk) goes in last.  I used a combo of 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and 3/4 cup of organic, whole milk. 



Now blend for about a minute or two.  I pressed several settings on my device - Stir, Mix, Crush (to make sure my ice didn't stay chunky).  You'll have to follow your instincts as far as what your machine can do.

When everything is well incorporated and liquified, you are ready to pour.  Mine filled up two tall 16 ounce glasses. 



Yes, I realize it doesn't look very pretty.  But I promise you it tastes amazing and refreshing!  It is very filling too.

This one is a keeper so I will continue experimenting with fruits and veggies as drinks.   If I can create another amazing recipe like this, I will be sure to share it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment