Thursday, May 30, 2013

Chocolate Squares Or Frosting Fudge (whatever you want to call it)

This idea of chocolate squares came to me when I had too much leftover frosting for my baby girl's birthday cake a month ago.  That reminds me I still need to post her birthday recap and share the recipes I used for the cupcakes and frosting I made!  Remind me, will you? 

Anyway, like I was saying, I had leftover chocolate frosting.  And I HATE to waste any food or ingredients especially chocolate so I decided to see if this would freeze well and if it can be broken up into squares or candy pieces.  Thankfully, it can!  Now my girls and I have a great summer treat (or year-round, let's face it!) that is dairy-free, gluten-free, nut-free, sugar-free and free of processed ingredients that we don't like.  Yay! 

Note that this takes several hours or even a day for this to be ready to eat.  I know, I know - it's hard to wait that long but trust me on it! 



Chocolate Squares (Or Fudge Frosting)
Makes about 18 squares

1/2 cup of organic palm oil (shortening)
1/2 bag of Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips (allergen-friendly - they are dairy free, soy free, nut free and more!)
Silicone mini square flexible pan - like this one


Directions:
In a small sauce pan on your stove, melt together the oil (shortening) and chocolate chips.  Stir frequently and be careful not to burn the liquid.  After incorporated for a few minutes, remove from heat. 

Set it aside and leave it alone.  For SEVERAL HOURS!  Once it's no longer hot, you can cover it and leave it alone for even longer.  About 4-5 hours should be fine.  Then after that, we you go to touch it, you'll see it's hardening but still scoop-able, like a fudge frosting.   Scoop it into a silicon mini square pan, similar to this one



Place it in the freezer overnight or for at least 6 hours. 

Remove from the freezer and simply pop out each chocolate square onto a plate or storage container.  Simply leaving mine out at room temperature for a few minutes makes it ready to eat.  You can also place them directly into the fridge to store and take out when you like. 

I live in Florida so you can't leave this stuff out during the hot summer months so it always stays in my fridge.  Anyway, enjoy these!  I know my kid and I do!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment