Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Vivian's Fruit Salad

I know posting a recipe for a fruit salad may seem silly.  You just throw a bunch of fruit together in a bowl, right?  How hard is that!?  Yet this one was/is special because my five year old girl specifically asked me if we could make a fruit salad and helped me with every aspect of it. 

Yes my oldest girl, Vivian, helped me chop up and slice various fruits to put it all together.  I asked her what she wanted to include in it.  We tried to find a fruit of every color to incorporate into the mixture.   It turned out amazing so I want to remember that we made this and exactly how we did it so we can call it her own. 

I love you Vivian!  This was delicious and you are an amazing kid and helper to me in the kitchen (and in many other ways too!)  :-)



Vivian's Fruit Salad
(Makes about 6-8 servings)

1 small basket of strawberries - sliced
1/2 banana - sliced (We ate the other half while chopping and slicing, hahaha!)
1 apple, any kind - peeled, core removed and sliced
1 pear - peeled, core removed and sliced
2 kiwi - peeled and sliced
A handful of blueberries, washed
A handful of grapes, washed
2 Tbsp of organic sour cream - optional (you could use a non-dairy substitute like coconut milk or almond milk)
1 tsp of honey - optional
1 slice of lemon, squeezed into the mixture



Do your washing, slicing and chopping of all the above fruit.  Have your kids help out with this.  You'll be surprised at how well they can chop or slice and that they enjoy assisting you too!   Check out my Vivian in action!  :-)



Place all the fruit in a large mixing bowl.  Add in the organic sour cream (or non-dairy substitute) and honey.  Squeeze one lemon slice into the mixture to keep the fruits fresh and from going brown.   Gently mix with a large spoon. 



Place in the fridge for at least an hour if you can before devouring.  The longer you let it sit and marinate together, the tastier it will be! 

Serve it in a fun or cute little bowl.  That makes it even more special too :-)



We ate on this for three days!  It kept up nicely in the fridge and I didn't see any brown spots or mushiness with my fruit.

Get your kids involved in your cooking!!!  I can't say this enough to those who are parents!  It has not been an easy eating path for my five year old.  Age 2 and 3 were really tough for us both!  However, I kept trying and insisting she try new foods -- lots of vegetables and fruits.  After two years, she now asks for things like carrots and broccoli.  By being persistent and having her help me even in small ways, Vivian has become an excellent, healthy eater! 

Enjoy this recipe and enjoy having little helpers in the kitchen too. This is the perfect recipe to kick off your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment