Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Fruity Ice Cream or Sorbet

I don't know about you but I sometimes struggle with saying no to ice cream or yogurt outings, especially when it comes to my children.  Occasionally (rarely) I will let my daughter have something out at a TCBY or Baskin Robbins type of place.  But for the most part, these days, I try to make my own at home.  It's easy.  It saves us money and of course, most importantly there is no added sugar or preservatives in my brand! 

I have an ice cream maker that I bought on sale last year.  However, even if you don't have an ice cream maker, you can make your own sorbet or smoothie and just freeze it! 

My husband and daughter really enjoyed this recipe.  We can hardly keep any extras of it in our freezer!  It's getting hot here (mid 80's) so I know we'll be eating this more often by July and August.

Fruity Ice Cream or Sorbet
(Serves 4 generously)

2 bananas, riper is better - peeled and mashed
2 cups (1 typical green basket size full) of strawberries - washed, stems off and chopped
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of raspberries (or one typical small container size full) - washed, stems off and chopped
1/2 cup of applesauce, all natural, unsweetened

**Note that fresh or frozen fruit will work fine. 

Place all of the fruit in a food processor (or a blender).  Blend until it has small chunks but not totally liquified. 

If you have an ice cream/sorbet maker, then follow its instructions for use on how to blend your fruit into the cold, creamy goodness.   Mine takes about 20 minutes to be ready. 



Then I simply scoop it out into four small storage containers and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight until I eat it.



If you don't have an ice cream/sorbet machine, don't worry.  You can simply divide out and pour your fruit chunky liquid into small storage containers and freeze it as is. 



It may not quite have the same consistency/texture as using an ice cream machine but it will taste just the same! 

I've done it both ways.  It's delicious no matter what!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment