Saturday, February 9, 2013

Better for You Pizza Crust

Pizza is something that anyone will miss from time to time.  I remember having a slice of take-out a few months after we changed our diet to a Primal/Paleo lifestyle.  Ugh!  Within an hour after eating it, I felt bloated and sick.  Blech. 

Yet somehow we forget that it made us feel bad and we want it again.  It's hard not to resist it when those constant TV commercials make their pizzas look so inviting and tasty.  But trust me those slices are so bad for you.  Like really bad.  Don't do it.  Just don't do it!  Make your own instead.  Creating your own healthy pizza doesn't take long and your body will love you more for it.

I've tried a half dozen different paleo-ish and primal pizza crust recipes out there from the web.  I tried two with almond flour. Yuck!  Pizza should not taste nutty.  I tried one with so many ingredients in it that it was just a pain to make.  I made one completely with tapioca flour - good but too carb dense for me these days. Finally after experimenting, measuring and re-tweaking, I think I found a winning combination that suits everyone in my family - not too carb heavy, good protein and great with any toppings and seasonings. 

Here it is.  I hope you like it too:



Better For You Pizza Crust
Makes one pizza - not too thin and not too thick, somewhere perfect in the middle

1 cup of coconut flour
1 cup of tapioca flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp of other Italian herbs/spice or combo
2 eggs
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 cup of water, warm

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a round pizza pan with olive oil.  Set aside.

In one large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients.  Put them in the order listed above - begin with the coconut flour.  Add in the tapioca flour, sea salt cream of tarter, baking soda and all the rest of your herbs and spices.  Mix until combined. 





Now add in your wet ingredients.  Place your eggs, olive oil and warm water.  I find it's best to use my hands to stir the ingredients.   So dig there and don't be afraid to get dirty when you're cooking!  Using a spoon just doesn't work well for me. 





Your dough will be a bit crumbly.  That's okay....  It still stays together and spreads out into your pizza pan easily.



Bake at 400 degrees for 16 to 20 minutes.  Mine was ready at 18 minutes exactly.  And boy did it smell so good in those last few minutes of baking.  Mmmm, mmmm!




We try not to eat pizza too often, maybe once every 4 to 6 weeks.  Sometimes we go longer than that.  But when we have an itch for it, I make this better-for-you pizza crust (gluten-free, sugar-free, crap-free and more).  I then load it with good veggies, avocado and more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment