Sunday, December 23, 2012

Paleo Gingerbread Waffles (and Merry Christmas!)


I made these gingerbread waffles as a treat for my family recently.  They are very filling and easy to make! 

This would not be something I'd eat every week.  However, I like these for a special reason or change from my usual eggs for breakfast especially around the holidays. 




Paleo Gingerbread Waffles
Makes 3 Belgian style or 4 regular waffles

olive oil for greasing waffle iron
2 cups of almond flour (such as Honeyville Farms blanched)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp of sea salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
2 pinches of ground cloves
4 eggs
1/2 cup of water
4 Tbsp of coconut oil, melted
1 Tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat your waffle iron.  While it's warming up, mix your dry ingredients in a large bowl - almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. 

In a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredients - eggs, water, melted coconut oil, molasses, almond and vanilla extracts.  Stir well with a whisk.  Make sure all are combined well.  Some lumps are okay from the coconut oil but it should be blended. 

Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix completely. 



Lightly grease your waffle iron with olive oil.  I have a Waring Double Belgian style that cooks two waffles at a time and I can flip them.  It's really cool and fun! 

Use 1/3 of your waffle mixture per waffle.  Spread it out across your iron.  Like this (see photo below):



Cook using your iron's instructions and until your desired brownness or doneness.  I was able to make three Belgian size waffles with mine.  If you have a smaller waffle iron, you may get four.



Top with your favorite toppings. My five year old girl likes maple syrup.  My husband and I drizzle coconut milk with a bit of flavored extracts on top. 

Mmmm, mmmm!  Good stuff! 

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a great start to 2013 too! 

From my family to yours, happy holidays!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment