Sunday, December 23, 2012

I Completed the 21-day Sugar Detox (And I'm doing it again in January!)


In early December I revealed that I was doing a 21-day sugar detox.  This is where I consumed no sugars for 21 days.  Not even fruit.  No alcohol.  No stevia packet in my coffee.  No squares of my favorite dark chocolate bar.  Nothing!  Well I did it!  I completed the 21 days.  And do you know what?  It really wasn't that hard. 



I can't say it was totally easy.  I had a few nights where I really wanted a glass of wine or a tiny piece of chocolate.  But I resisted.  What can I say?  I'm pretty determined and dedicated when I want to be.  I think it helped that I was seeing so many positive results along the way.

First I found that I could go hours without eating or feeling hungry.  I could eat breakfast at 7:00 a.m. and feel satisfied until 2:00 p.m. 

Second and best of all for me, I lost weight.  I had reached a bit of a standstill on my post-baby weight loss until I did this detox.  I lost 8 pounds and went from a size 6 pants to a size 4.  Can I get a "OH YEAH BABY!" on that one!  Yes, that was a definite nice bonus for me. 

Third and last of all, I realized that sugar doesn't control me.  None of the foods out there do.  I'm in control and that's what I wanted most of all from doing this program.  I wanted to see that I don't need it.  I may want it.  Occasionally I may have it in natural forms like honey and blueberries but I only need that in minimal amounts.  What my body and mind really thrives on is protein and fats.  I'm at my best mentally and physically when I stick to a low-carb lifestyle and that's how I want to spend the rest of my life.  I've been doing this Primal/Paleo "diet" for over six months now and I plan on making it a permanent fixture of who I am. 

Thanks to those at the 21 day sugar detox program for your encouragement and uplifting words.  It was great to be a part of a group who eats the same way I do in a community and world where most people think I'm crazy!  :-) 

I plan to indulge just a little bit for Christmas.  I want to make coconut sugar cookies with my five year old after all and have chocolate waffles for breakfast that morning too. 

After that though, I'm going strictly no sugar again for awhile.  I intend to do the detox program again in January to see if I lose another couple pounds that I want to shed.  I may extend that longer.  We shall see.  It will depend on how I feel.  I'm just going to listen to my body, mind and heart and let those guide me going forward. 

That's all any of can do really.  Follow your own instincts.  Don't let any doctor, friend or celebrity tell you how you should eat and live.  Determine that for yourself.   Then do what works best.  That's what I'm doing.  That's what my family is doing. 

Cheers and be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment