Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Skillet Asparagus

Confession: I never used to eat asparagus.  In fact, I only really started eating it in the last three months.  Crazy, I know, right?  I suppose I just never had it cooked properly for me.  Now my husband and I both know how to prepare and serve it so that it's truly amazing.  Here's the simple way we make it:




Skillet Asparagus
(Serves 4)

1/2 bunch of asparagus
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cup of cherry tomatoes
1.5 Tbsp butter, softened (all natural from grass fed cows, I like the Irish Kerrygold brand)
1 Tbsp olive oil + a little more for greasing pan
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar


Lightly grease the skillet pan with olive oil and place on low to medium heat.  Meanwhile, cut the ends off your asparagus - about 1/4 to 1/3 inch.   The best technique I've used is to start at the ends and work your way up....when the knife cuts through easily with no effort, that's where you need to trim. 

Place the cut asparagus in a medium size mixing bowl.  Add in your minced garlic, cherry tomatoes, softened butter, olive oil and sea salt.  Coat the asparagus well with all the seasonings. 

Put mixture in the skillet.  Spread out your asparagus and cook for about five minutes.  Then gently flip over or move around cooking for another two minutes.  Don't overcook.  You don't want your veggie too soft or wilted. 




Remove from heat.  Add in the 1/2 tsp of balsamic vinegar and mix around. 



Serve warm.  Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment