Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sausage and Kale Soup


I'm taking advantage of the final in-season winter vegetables even though it just turned spring. I bought some kale at my local farmers market and challenged myself to cook with it.  A moms group that I belong to made kale chips and a soup with it.  I decided to tweak their soup recipe a bit for my taste buds.  The end result was amazing.  I love this easy, clean and delicious soup.  I have eaten it twice in the last three weeks.  I think you will love it too!



Sausage and Kale Soup
(Makes 6 servings)

1 Tbsp of olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of carrots, sliced thin, shredded or even pureed
4 cloves of garlic, minced OR use garlic powder, 1 tsp
12 oz (4 to 5 links) of chicken sausage, nitrate free and no additives, chopped
6 cups of chicken broth, all natural
2 cups of water
1 tsp of Italian seasoning or combo of basil and oregano
3 oz (half a can) of tomato paste
1 bunch of kale (4 to 5 cups) - shredded
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
additional spices to taste

In a large pot, heat your olive oil.  When it's gotten to medium heat, add in your diced onion, carrots and garlic.  Cook until the onions start to brown and carrots start to soften, about five minutes.  Add in your sausage, tomato paste, chicken broth, water and remaining seasonings.  Stir well and simmer for about ten minutes.  Add in your shredded kale.  Cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the kale wilts. 

Remove from stove. Serve in soup bowl.  Enjoy! 

I was feeling a bit under the weather a few days ago - perhaps due to pollen in the air or perhaps due to something that didn't agree with me.  This soup sure did make me feel better though!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment