Saturday, October 13, 2012

Banana Cinnamon Pancakes


I typically make pancakes twice a month for my family.  It's usually a weekend morning treat but sometimes we'll have them for dinner too.  My husband makes the eggs and omelets in our household;  I do the pancakes.  It's just how we roll. 

When we first started the Paleo/Primal diet, I wasn't sure we'd be able to have traditional pancakes again.  I missed them though and my almost five year old daughter loves them.  So I knew I had to find a replacement recipe.  I experimented with a half-dozen of recipes out there.  It took some trial and error and tweaking until I found one that worked best for us.  This is my current favorite one:




Banana Cinnamon Pancakes
(Makes 6 medium size pancakes)

olive oil for greasing skillet or frying pan
1/3 measuring cup for scooping out batter
very thin spatula or flexible turner (like this one) for flipping pancakes
5 eggs
3 ripe bananas
1/2 cup of coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Grease your skillet (or use a griddle if you have one) with a bit of olive oil and turn on the heat to low while you make the batter.  





In a small bowl, mash your bananas with a fork until they are a liquid mush.  Set aside.  In a large bowl, beat your eggs.  Then add in the bananas, coconut flour, baking soda, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon.  Mix well.  Your batter may seem thick.  You can add a bit of water, like 1 tsp, to it if you like. 

Turn the heat up on your skillet to medium or medium low when you're about ready to cook the pancakes.  Grab your 1/3 cup measuring utensil to begin forming your breakfast. 

From my experience, the 1/3 cup is the perfect size for a pancake.  Use this to scoop out batter from the mixing bowl.  Place it in the skillet.  My pancake batter is almost like a cookie dough batter; therefore it doesn't "pour out."  You must scoop it out then use your spatula to flatten it out into a round pancake. 

Cook on each side for about 2 minutes.  This batter doesn't form bubbles like your traditional flour pancakes do.  So just watch until it puffs up and begins to lightly brown on the edges.  Then flip carefully and cook for another minute. 

Mine look like this:



Set the pancake aside and follow the same directions to cook the rest of the batter.  About half way through, I have to turn down the heat on my skillet so I don't burn them.  I made exactly six medium size pancakes with this batter.

Serve warm with all natural maple syrup or top with your favorite berries.  Delicious and good for you! 

Trust me, your kids will never miss the difference.  With these, they won't know that the pancakes aren't made with traditional flour!   Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment